Instructor Side

Add a new feature request or vote for an existing one and all of your dreams will come true.

What suggestions do you have to improve Learning Suite?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Select whether grades are released to students after they have been entered

Sometimes you want to wait until grades are entered for the entire class or all the assignments until you release them for students to view. Or maybe you want to return an assignment before releasing grades.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copy rubrics within a course

I use the same rubric for different assignments. However, the assignments have different scores so I need to adjust the point values on each rubric. To accomplish this, I've had to create a new rubric for each point level and re-type all the criteria descriptions. Is it possible to allow copying of rubrics so I don't have to re-type everything? I realize that I could use weighted scores, but the way my course is set up that is not the best option.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. show the percent out of 100 and not percent of grade. Also show percent of each category and total class percent.

I don't find it very useful to see the percent of grade column. I want my percent out of 100 on each assignment. The amount of points is sufficient for me to know the weight of the assignment.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Overall score deceives students by ignoring assignment category weights

The gradebook in Learning Suite can be deceiving, in my experience. It reports an “Overall score” that is a percentage of total points earned without regard to the weight of those points. Consequently, it will paint an inaccurately rosy picture, and students think they are performing better than they really are, leading to potential let-down at the end of the semester. One colleague reports angry students who were caught off-guard by their true final grade, resulting in appeals to chair and dean and unnecessary hassles.

Of course, if a student wants an accurate snapshot of the current course grade, he…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Place some visual indicator on grade columns that are hidden from student view

Current Situation: In the Gradebook, I can go to a grade column-->click the down arrow-->click on Edit Assignment-->select Scheduling (tab at top)-->and then fill in the Hide an Assignment box for a date in the future. Once that date is populated, I have no way of knowing that the grade column is hidden for my students, unless I open up the Edit Assignment dialogue box again. This is especially problematic for courses that get copied from one semester to another; those "hide until dates" appear to copy to the next semester (and increment the year to the next year so…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Batch download *by section*

In order to expedite grading for large classes with multiple sections, we would love to see an improved "Batch Download" feature that allows users to download assignments from a specific section or multiple specific sections.
    Currently, all assignments across every section is downloaded by this feature.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Enable notifications for when students have read/accessed feedback given on grades.

I spend a lot of time typing comments that accompany scores that I record. It would greatly help if I knew whether or not students had seen that feedback.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Integrate Turnitin Grademark into LS

Turnitin's Grademark system is VASTLY superior to the built-in Learning Suite grading interface. It's far more functional, adaptable, user friendly, and works on iPad. I know that you've already added a button to automatically transfer the Grademark scores - it only works occasionally and, even when it does, sometimes transfers the wrong scores, but that's a different discussion. The main problem is that students have a hard time finding the Grademark feedback. I recommend replacing the unusable LS grader altogether with Grademark and setting it up so students can access the feedback with a single click.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Create/Use better Assignment order in grader

What determines the order of the assignments in the drop-down menu in BYU Grades > scoring? The assignments don't seem to have any particular order (in fact, it appears quite random) and it makes for selecting an assignment from that list quite a pain for instructors and TAs.

Please look into coming up with some better way to display those assignments - perhaps by the same categories that we use to make them and by their due dates.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Text columns in gradebook

Gradebook needs the ability to have columns for text so that we can enter assignment numbers, group names, etc into the gradebook for the ease of professors and students to grade. For example, for some assignments I just want a check mark to tell me it has been turned in (like the class Ferpa form). I don't want a grade for it, but a way to visually see who has completed something and who has not when there are no points assigned to it. Currently I have to use numbers and the students freak out because those numbers (even if…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow a sort of the Originality Check report

The Originality Check is awesome, but if I do grading there, I can't sort students by name, etc --- it just occurs in the order of submission. Alternatively, if the report were accessible when entering grades under "Scores", I could do the sorting there.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add attachments to messages from gradebook

Provide a way to add attachments to emails sent from Gradebook - even if only 1 MB in size

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Remove the "compare yourself to other students in class" function.

I recently learned, to my horror, that LS has a default setting to let students see their score in comparison to other students (as opposed to tracking their own performance). That's bad enough (a comparison culture is unhealthy), but then LS also tells them things like "you're the best in class" or "you're the worst in class - better luck next time." I cannot say how badly this has gone for students (once they let me know it was happening!). I can turn it off, but I have to remember to do that each semester. Please, either remove it, or…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. More options with attendance in grades

Please add a tardy option with attendance.

Also, please add a "note" option with daily attendance. For example, in dance and other participatory classes, students may be present, but 'sitting out' due to an injury. I would like to be able to track that in Learning Suite for both instructor and student benefit.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Be able to exclude an individual student's grades from overall/assignment statistics without having to leave score blank

Some students never show up yet they don't withdrawal from class. They, officially, have a zero in their scores and their overall grade. It would be wonderful to eliminate their zero scores from the assignment statistics and, if they do happen to have one score in the class, it would be nice to be able to exclude their super low grade from overall grade statistics. This would allow for a more accurate statistical view of the class.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. comments upload

Allow instructors to upload comments from the csv file. Right now, it is possible to upload grades. But uploading comments associated with those grades is impossible. I'd like to grade outside of LS--using, say, an Excel or csv file. In that file, I'd record the grades and some comments. Then, I want to do be able to upload it all at once--upload the grades and comments at the same time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add symbols to grade scale

Add less than, less than or equal to, greater than, greater than or equal to symbols for use in the grading scale

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Clicking on a student's score should take you to the student's exam

Professor Cherrington would like to see a hyperlink changed under the scores tab in Learning Suite. When he clicks on someones score a second menu comes up which gives some information about the exam and there is a hyper link at the top of the page that links you to the exam description. He would like to see that changed so that when he clicks on that link it takes him to the students exam so that he can review there exams.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. On the student view

The student view tells students how many points they've received and also a percentage. If points are in categories that receive different totals, however, then the first of these two numbers is just confusing, and should be removed. For example, a student complained because he has 340/395 points but only an 80% (where, doing the math, 340/395=89%) because the points he missed were on the exam, which are weighted more heavily than homework problems.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. It would help me learn the names of my students if their pictures would also show up on the assignment grading window.

It would help me learn the names of my students if their pictures would also show up on the assignment grading window.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Instructor Side

Feedback and Knowledge Base