Instructor Side

Add a new feature request or vote for an existing one and all of your dreams will come true.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. On the student view

The student view tells students how many points they've received and also a percentage. If points are in categories that receive different totals, however, then the first of these two numbers is just confusing, and should be removed. For example, a student complained because he has 340/395 points but only an 80% (where, doing the math, 340/395=89%) because the points he missed were on the exam, which are weighted more heavily than homework problems.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If Learning Suite goes down, links users to @byuoit on Twitter so they can get status updates.

If Learning Suite goes down, put a message on the error page that links users to @byuoit on Twitter so they can get status updates. That way, users don't have to call in to see how much longer until Learning Suite is back up.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Put '+add new assignment' button on the schedule editing page

I had a professor using announcements and schedule in such a way that most of the students had a hard time following it. You should make a button on the "edit schedule" page to add assignments, maybe ones that appear as you scroll over dates or a dropdown box that allows you to choose in one click wether to make a lecture subject, an assignment, etc. That way students don't have to always be guessing, or shifting through all the details on the scheduling page. Of course, this is not a problem for teachers who are used to Learning suite.…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Schedule  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Social networking for TA's in different sections

We a number of sections of Organic chemistry classes, but each section only knows its own TA's.

This is a problem because sometimes students schedules do not match with their TA's office hours. If they knew the other TA's then they could go in at anytime, and duplicity in TA's office hours could be erased.

there are many other classes and this will save time and money on the part of the students, because help will be more accessible.

You could easily do this with google docs
    The social networking page would need to have one section available for students…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Better horizontal scrolling in the grade book

When scrolling from left to right in the grade book, it continues to snap back to the far left column of the grade book. The assignments I'm grading are farther to the right and extremely difficult to get to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make it easier for me to see the feedback I've programmed into exams

In "Exams," under "Questions," it would be great if the "Expanded" view showed the feedback I'm giving students with each answer. I want to review & edit what I've put in there, and I would like to see it in all one place. Currently, for me to see the feedback that I've entered, I need to "edit" each question individually. Showing all the feedback on the "extended view" would be very helpful.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Exams  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show Class Session Number on Schedule

It would be very helpful to have an optional column next to the date in the schedule that simply lists class period 1, class 2, class 3...

This would help me organize things as I copy a class from semester to semester. Sometimes it's easier to think in terms of Day 17, rather than whatever date it is.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Schedule  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Spreadsheet of students for individual assignments to facilitate entering grades for one assignment.

It would be helpful to be able to click on any assignment name in the grades spreadsheet and have it come up with a class spreadsheet just for that assignment. That way entering grades for one assignment would be a lot easier.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Assignable late penalty

I would rather allow a student to submit late, with a small point penalty as a disincentive, than to bar them from submitting it. The system would automatically assess a point penalty when an assignment is late. You would need four boxes:
    1. penalty amount
    2. score unit (% or points)
    3. time amount
    4. time unit

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Don't collapse titles of assignments in column headings

In the "Scores" screen, the column headings (which correspond to individual assignments) are collapsed so that only the first 8 characters show, making it extremely difficult to know which assignment corresponds to which column. If the assignment titles must be collapsed, I'd suggesting making the entire title visible when the user clicks on the little arrow in the column heading. This has been a major frustration.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. On "Instructor View" make it easy to identify the assignments that are still hidden from the students (i.e. label it as (hidden)).

I have kept certain assignments hidden from students in some cases because I have to edit them or for other reasons. As of now, to know if an assignment is hidden one has to check the "Scheduling" tab in the Assignment window or one has to switch to "Student View" and compare it with the "Instructor View." It would be nice to be able to easily identify if assignments are hidden from students without having to check the "Student View." I suggest a simple paraphrase after the assignment that labels it (hidden).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Give instructors the ability to open an exam for someone to take a second time, either in an exception, or otherwise.

Curently there is no way for instructors to let a student take an exam again if there is a reason to do so. LS could program an exception option, or some other way of re-opening the exam for a student so they can take it again.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Exams  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Option to customize calendar items and print

Students should be able to choose which classes, and which calendar items from those classes (i.e. exams, reading assignments, quizzes, etc.) to include on their centralized calendar. Then be able to print the calendar in week, or month views.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Schedule  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add TAs to the "critical announcement; email everyone" function in announcements so that they receive the email, too

Add TAs to the "critical announcement; email everyone" function in announcements so that they receive the email, too.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ability to add photos/pdfs to announcements

Most announcements I want to make come with an image, flyer, pdf that I want to add.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Y-Messages from previous semesters shouldn't continue as notifications

The only way to get rid of the message notification is to click on the message and read it. There are classes where students will babble about nothing important and the professor will never use this method for important things. If you want to get rid of them, you have to go through all previous semesters and click to view each individual message.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Digital Dialog  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Embed a librarian feature

The library is looking for a rather unique option. We partner with the writing program and would like to be able to create a customizable tab with several simple homework assignments that the students could complete through learning suite. We need these assignments to be secure so the teacher could grade them, but also we would like to collect the data from such assignments for our own library instruction program assessment. That means there would be a few parties that would need to be able to access the information: the writing 150 teacher, the library instructor assigned to that section,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Exams  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a column in each gradebook category for the category average. Include each student's average and the class average.

Add a column in each gradebook category for the category average. Include each student's average and the class average.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add support for right-to-left languages

Our course websites were much more effective when we could include (and ask students to produce) material in the target language on the site.

Learning Suite still provides no support for right-to-left languages.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Instructor Side

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base