What suggestions do you have to improve Learning Suite?

Ability to turn off student view of the grade scale

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BYU Learning SuiteAdminBYU Learning Suite (BYU Learning Suite, BYU LEARNING SUITE) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Beth JacksonBeth Jackson commented  · 

As a student, I also always appreciate being able to see the grade scale, especially because the grade scale isn't necessarily the same from class to class. I understand the concern if professor are going to curve or normalize the grades at the end of the semester, but I still appreciate being able to measure my progress throughout the semester.

• Kody DavisKody Davis commented  · 

As a student, I appreciate knowing what is expected of me.

If the grade scale is not shown (at least in the syllabus), then I wonder how I am being graded, and if it is fair. Seeing as a syllabus is not required in Learning Suite, I really like that the grade scale is always displayed. Professors are always welcome to mention that the grade will be normalized or curved in their syllabus, to ensure understanding at the end of the semester.

• Chad CarlosChad Carlos commented  · 

I have the same problem as Joseph. I want students to be able to see their scores for individual assignments, but because I use a curve at the end of the semester it causes confusion when they end up with a different grade than what they are expecting based on what they see in LS.

• David BensonDavid Benson commented  · 

In a similar spirit, it would be nice to be able to show points (16/20), instead of 80%, on assignments, because I curve up at the end, and showing the percentage, I feel, discourages students.

• David BensonDavid Benson commented  · 

+1. (Although, I thought this referred to the functionality that Agilix Gradebook offered (to allow students to see how they did relative to the class.) The problem there is the opposite one -- in my mind it gives all of the students "on the bubble" or "at the margin (say of B+ to A-)" to want to come in & argue about points.

• Joseph McMurrayJoseph McMurray commented  · 

Yes, I want to curve composite grades, but can't do so until all grades are in for the semester (otherwise any curve is premature). But if students see the standard grade scale, some get discouraged because they think their grade is lower than it really is.

• Brian IversonBrian Iverson commented  · 

I heartily agree. Just a simple addition allowing instructors to choose whether to include or not is all that is needed.

• Melissa NewberryMelissa Newberry commented  · 

I have some assignments that are have a low point value assigned, but when students see the percent they have a tendency to fret too much about it. I would like to have the final score be given in percent to match university standards, but I would like students to only see the raw score earned for the assignment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base