What suggestions do you have to improve Learning Suite?

Enter attendance in Learning Suite

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Many skill-based courses factor attendance into the grade, with a deduction in students' overall grade percentage for each absence beyond a specified number; for example, in first- and second-year Spanish and Portuguese courses, 2% is deducted from students' grades for each absence beyond 5. I second the suggestion that has already been made to allow BYU Grades to track attendance, but we also need a feature that allows for deducations to be made to the overall grade, ideally accompanied by a feature allowing notations to be made explaining the deductions.

• Matthew SheetsMatthew Sheets commented  · 

@Mac Wilson: Love the idea for implementation. For professors with touch devices (or TAs), this would be great. There could be ways to make it more mouse friendly (which would probably be a must), but I like the creative thought. Multiple taps/colors to cycle through present, absent, tardy (perhaps with the ability to set a default for all absent or all present, etc.), a way to sort to just show students that are 'still' absent (if that's your default) so that you can quickly mark those students as they enter, etc. There's some fun rom for thought here.

• Mac WilsonMac Wilson commented  · 

I would love to see this added and have the ability to use the class roll app to simply tap (or something similar) the image of the student to take attendance (and mark down for lack of participation in class (one tap adds green check mark for being present, two taps adds red x for being absent, and an option to add notes).

• Matthew SheetsMatthew Sheets commented  · 

This is huge. So many professors do this--it needs to be investigated to find common idiosyncracies (for instance, the ability to have it be graded OR ungraded--this is a general issue with BYU Gradebook right now as well) so that it can be made robustly and not with too much simplicity or it may feel flimsy and useless. I can see so many professors using this, or having their TA do so in class.

As another thought--it may be worth considering seating charts, though I think that may be an iteration 2 or 3 type of item for the amount of worth and related return.

• Anonymous commented  · 

You can already do this. Have an assignment category Attendance, with one point per day. Of course, it's a pain to create the 42 assignments....

• David KaiserDavid Kaiser commented  · 

You may use an I-clicker for this purpose.

Feedback and Knowledge Base