What suggestions do you have to improve Learning Suite?

Provide better management of uploaded files

Uploading files for viewing by students is a useful feature, but does not provide the instructor adequate control. In particular, if a file (such as a PDF of a classroom lecture) is updated, the older version cannot be replaced (although it can be added under a new name). I file management page would be helpful.

98 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bruce CarpenterBruce Carpenter shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

LS has expressed concern that an 'overwrite' feature would be problematic for naive faculty (or faculty that struggle with computers).

Please at a minimum, simply add a click option to 'replace file'!! By default, make it unchecked.

This addresses LS concerns because the naive faculty are 'protected', and it provides better functionality.

• Joshua UdallJoshua Udall commented  · 

If nothing else, if I try to overwrite an old file with a new file and the two files have the same name such as "Syllabus" .... AT LEAST provide a pop-up saying "This file already exists, are you sure you want to overwrite it?". Currently, LS simply returns an error saying File Exists! I know it exists and I want to update it. Doh!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Here we are 2 and a half years later, still without this feature. I will probably retire before they update this.....And I still have 30 years to go here.

The LS group said a fix was started a year ago. It really shouldn't be that hard to fix. Please.

• Brandon PleweBrandon Plewe commented  · 

Great idea, and students should have read-only access as well, so they can download files without me having to create HTML pages to link to them. This feature was briefly in Version 1 last year, then disappeared.

• Derek HansenDerek Hansen commented  · 

It would also be great if the file names didn't get converted to random strings, so when students download them they have meaningful names.

Please allow LS to over-write and replace files with the same name ... while using the insert-file pop-up.

Feedback and Knowledge Base