What suggestions do you have to improve Learning Suite?

Provide better management of uploaded files

Uploading files for viewing by students is a useful feature, but does not provide the instructor adequate control. In particular, if a file (such as a PDF of a classroom lecture) is updated, the older version cannot be replaced (although it can be added under a new name). I file management page would be helpful.

102 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Bruce Carpenter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do something in my class that I suppose is very common: I post my PowerPoint slides under a "content" page. That process is basically fine, but here is the problem: if I make a change in a file and I need to upload the new version to LearningSuite, "insert file" will not simply replace the old version. Instead, it throws an error: "File (filename) already exists." To work around this, I have to go out of my course, go to "my courses" to the file management area, find the correct file (Be careful not to delete the wrong file!), and then go all the way back into editing the content page, get back to the spot on the page where I first tried to insert the file, and try it again. To be frank, that's a ridiculous set of steps. Couldn't you just give us the option to replace the file if it already exists? Isn't that the normal way this issue is handled with computers?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LS has expressed concern that an 'overwrite' feature would be problematic for naive faculty (or faculty that struggle with computers).

Please at a minimum, simply add a click option to 'replace file'!! By default, make it unchecked.

This addresses LS concerns because the naive faculty are 'protected', and it provides better functionality.

• Joshua Udall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If nothing else, if I try to overwrite an old file with a new file and the two files have the same name such as "Syllabus" .... AT LEAST provide a pop-up saying "This file already exists, are you sure you want to overwrite it?". Currently, LS simply returns an error saying File Exists! I know it exists and I want to update it. Doh!!

The LS group said a fix was started a year ago. It really shouldn't be that hard to fix. Please.

• Brandon Plewe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea, and students should have read-only access as well, so they can download files without me having to create HTML pages to link to them. This feature was briefly in Version 1 last year, then disappeared.

• Derek Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be great if the file names didn't get converted to random strings, so when students download them they have meaningful names.

Please allow LS to over-write and replace files with the same name ... while using the insert-file pop-up.

Instructor Side: Content

Feedback and Knowledge Base