How can we improve BYU LEARNING SUITE?

Separate out the ical feed into components

When i add the ical feed for my math class i get a bunch of items. These include topics to be covered, assignments due, and assignments given. There isn't really any way to distinguish between them in my google calendar, but they're separated out in learning suite. Maybe there could be different feeds for if you just want due dates or material covered, having all of it lumped together makes it ambiguous and less useful

114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robert KemsleyRobert Kemsley commented  · 

I totally agree with this idea. It would be super useful to be able to choose which categories to integrate into my ical feed.

• Brady EisertBrady Eisert commented  · 

Separating out the iCal feeds into the Schedule Columns (as defined by course instructors) would be great. We could even have a checklist to choose which columns to include that will generate a calendar based on those filters.

For example, I have a class with two Schedule Columns: (1) Class Topics and (2) Assignments/Exams. I would love to be able to generate an iCal feed for this class showing only the Assignments/Exams.

Also, if I had a class with three Schedule Columns: (1) Class Topics, (2) Assignments, (3) Exams, it would be nice to be able to select both Assignments and Exams and to produce an iCal feed based on that.

Last, this is a bit beyond the scope of this request, but a feed directly from the Testing Center with Exam dates/times would be great (including late fee info with times in the title or description).

• FinsterFinster commented  · 

The real problem is that all of these ical events don't have any context. Why not include the headings for each item with the event itself? That would help the problem a little bit. But I agree with others here, the ical feed is pretty useless right now.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I use iCal for my class scheduling, but I don't subscribe to the live feeds because they make my calendar too cluttered. All I really care about are exams and assignment due dates.

• Anonymous commented  · 

iCalendar feed integration is broken until this is fixed. An absolutely great feature that is more or less useless at this point.

• Kyle RichardsonKyle Richardson commented  · 

It would be nice to be able to pick the columns of the schedule to download or get the feed, Syllabus Builder had that feature and I loved it. Some teachers have a tab labeled class number, or stuff like that, I don't care what class number it is, it would be nice not to have to view that when I download the schedule

Feedback and Knowledge Base