How can we improve BYU LEARNING SUITE?

Have an "available offline" option

Sometimes on/off campus there is not accessible internet connection (BOTTOM OF JFSB *cough*). It would be nice if the information in Learning Suite could still be accessed offline so that a student doesn't need to wander around their building until they have a wi-fi signal strong enough to last until they have their information open.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Trent DespainTrent Despain shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ian HunterIan Hunter commented  · 

@Matthew I'd rather see old content than no content. As long as people are alerted that they're viewing things offline and may be seeing things out-of-sync, I don't think there would be much of a problem. Certain features you could just disable from offline view, like taking exams, but viewing your inbox and syllabus shouldn't be much more than pulling something out of localStorage or an IndexedDB.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Matthew Sheets, that is incorrect. The technology is already available, BYU just isn't using it yet. This is a perfectly valid request.

• Matthew SheetsMatthew Sheets commented  · 

@Trent Despain: (Very unrelated to the idea at hand) I'd be sure to call OIT with that issue. If that is a consistent issue, help them to become more aware of it so that they can help fix it. I believe that's a priority for them.

There are, unfortunately, a *lot* of logistical issues to this in current web technologies. It's getting there, but this is (I would assume) probably a few years out from really being terribly feasible, especially with issues of accessing old content, taking exams, etc. Eventually there could be some very cool things here though! We'll just have to see which way the wind blows with technology and its standards these next few years!

Feedback and Knowledge Base