How can we improve BYU LEARNING SUITE?

Include "REPORT ABUSE" Feature in Messaging

Many of us have seen abuse of the messaging system. This can include everything from people making irrelevant small talk in a chat for the entire class down to students being bullied because of political affiliation. There are cases of students arguing and name calling in a class message thread. These things are certainly and abuse of the system and can be an abuse of individuals. Online abuse is serious and abuse of the system is annoying. It should be reported properly. Reporting would include a notification to the professor and possibly to LS admin.

153 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Breanna LambertBreanna Lambert commented  · 

This and reporting people who are trying to sell something in Learning Suite messages would be good.

• BrandonBrandon commented  · 

Hey LS, my post on "opting out" of conversations was somehow merged with this request to be able to "report abuse". I do not intend to advocate a "report abuse" button, rather, I believe one should simply be able to OPT OUT of receiving notifications or even messages from unwanted conversations. Please distinguish between these two different options.

• BrandonBrandon commented  · 

Prevent trolls and small talk from corrupting your feed and notifications by being able to opt out of such conversations.

• __________________________ commented  · 

I would love to opt-out of a several classes notifications. One reason is that the professor does not use learning suite to communicate but the students in the class blow up the mail-box trying to schedule everyone for meeting up to study for a test. Excess notifications are annoying when you have no intention to study with 10-20 people who trying to coordinate their schedule.

• Matthew BeckMatthew Beck commented  · 

Please, Please make this change an option. It is incredibly irritating to constantly get notifications from a few jokesters holding the rest of our inboxes hostage.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Sometimes, someone will start a conversation that has no importance to me, but everytime there's a new post I get the red message notification at the top of the page, and I never know if it's something that I actually want to look at or if it's just the same old conversation that doesn't concern me. There should be an option to stop notifications of new posts on individual message threads.

• Josh CooperJosh Cooper commented  · 

In a class of hundreds of kids, I see stuff like this filling up an entire message which is just annoying:

"Trolling... trolling... 1,2,3..."

Seriously?

Feedback and Knowledge Base