How can we improve BYU LEARNING SUITE?

Notification system for graded assignments.

It would be cool to have a notification system for graded assignments. The idea being that you could click on an assignment and ask to be emailed when your grade has been entered.

358 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HaleyHaley commented  · 

I was told that the enhancement request for this was closed... can that be updated on this forum somehow? It's really misleading for us to see that the last it was updated was that the Admin said that an Enhancement request was opened. Since this ticket has been closed (not sure why?) it would be nice for that to at least be reflected here. This is still a desired request, and I'm sad to see that it was closed without justification, or notification of the community

• HaleyHaley commented  · 

Is there still an enhancement request for this?? Enhancement request #6926 doesn't appear to be the right request

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood commented  · 

This would also be a great feature for when finals come around and students are waiting on an important grade. I often check learningsuite regularly after I take my finals to see the distribution and where I fall in the class, but some professors take a while to post grades for finals and this feature would save me a lot of time and stress. Many TA's/professors will email you separately when they've updated grades as well, and this could remove that step for them.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I actually just came here to write a request for the same exact thing. I think this is very important since each professor/TA grades assignments at a different speed. I sometimes find myself in the situation where I check my grades daily to see what grade I got on assignment, give up because it hasn't been graded one month later, and then just when I stopped checking that's when I was given a grade, and I don't see it until the end of the semester because I got sick of checking for nothing. An option to ask to be notified by email would be TERRIFIC.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Please extend this idea to be able to distribute events to endpoints in a nice API fashion so others can write learning suite integrations

• Anonymous commented  · 

Would love to get email for when a grade comes in.

• Rosson LongRosson Long commented  · 

Reviewing the other comments below I think a notification system would be nice as well.

Perhaps the best decision is for the user to be able to "select" how he would like to be updated about his Learning Suite stuff. Or even what things they don't want notifications and emails for.

• Rosson LongRosson Long commented  · 

I think this would be incredibly nice, especially if you did something that would let you know for messages in LS as well. Sometimes I'll get important updates or messages in the "Mail" or "Messages" part of LS (The mail icon on the top right of LS) but more often times than not I may not end up checking those messages for a very long time!

If we added an email feature to that it would be a very reliable we to connect with the students in our classes. i.e. you have a group project but you haven't gotten everyone's numbers or emails. This system can simplify that need. It would also make it much easier for students to communicate.

• JeremyJeremy commented  · 

Or similar to the way a red notification appears on the messaging button, have a similar dot appear on the tabs of your different courses. You can have settings on what classifies as a notification (ie grade updates, or any new content postings).

• Chris AndersonChris Anderson commented  · 

Added 3 votes: I would like email notifications for when assignment grades show up.

• Tyler JohnsonTyler Johnson commented  · 

An option to have e-mail alerts when grades for assignments have been submitted would be nice too. Maybe have a "watch" flag next to each assignment and then if anything changes in relation to that assignmetnt (I.E. due date, grade, description) then the student is notified via text or e-mail

• Anonymous commented  · 

It's great that announcements are posted on the home page and draw our attention and so do new messages in the top right corner (nice fix, by the way--before they were so invisible...). Looking through all our grades though just to see if any new ones have been posted is irritating. I'd love to see notifications when new grades are entered.

• Nate MNate M commented  · 

Agreeing with others: in-app notifications is better than dozens of email.

• Jacob WhiteJacob White commented  · 

Or perhaps even better, a dashboard of recently graded assignments. With the current system I always have to check on a separate page for every single class to see if assignments have been graded, and by the time I realize something is graded, so much time has passed that I it's no longer relevant to what we are learning about in the class.
        For an example, take a look at the dashboard on BYU Idaho's version of Learning Suite. You can see all your recently graded assignments in one location, every time you log in.
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3zo7uUWEW7IRW9IRkhmWk5nZk0/edit?usp=sharing

• Matthew SheetsMatthew Sheets commented  · 

Interesting thought, actually, and I don't think it would be terribly difficult to implement.

I'm glad to see the red coloration added in for zeros! :) It's already been helpful to see things that aren't submitted.

This would need to be done in such a way that it doesn't become spammy or else it loses its value in warning people about changes that could potentially be devastating if missed.

I think there is still some value here. Another possible or additional implementation would be to have small colored bubbles show up next to new/changed items on the master schedule.

Just reviewing this and realizing how helpful this would be to make sure that we don't miss obvious discrepancies, etc.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base