How can we improve BYU LEARNING SUITE?

Notification system for graded assignments.

It would be cool to have a notification system for graded assignments. The idea being that you could click on an assignment and ask to be emailed when your grade has been entered.

359 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I'm down with the simple idea of a tab where students can personalize their Learning Suite account and having options such as this opt in to receive an email notification when an instructor or TA updates your score for an assignment. This would be nice so you don't have to check every day for three weeks to see if your midterm scores have been posted. Instead you can just patiently wait for it to come to you.

• Jared NeilJared Neil commented  · 

I think an alternative to a whole email for each update would be a small notification system within learning suite (kinda like Facebook).
        Every time there is a change to something (changed due date, posted new document, new announcement) you could get a notification on the home page with the basic information ("Lab 1 due date changed from <date> to <date>") and could click to go to that assignment/announcement.

• Matthew SheetsMatthew Sheets commented  · 

I agree with this. I think it would be good for the TAs/professors to just have an "email students about these grading updates" option. It would just be some sort of check box with a text box to enter an optional description about what was done. It would make it easier for professors/TAs to quickly inform students without needing to put in a lot of effort. There also could possibly be a way to post it as an announcement instead of sending it as an email (perhaps an and/or option).

• Carissa LutesCarissa Lutes commented  · 

I really don't think students want an email everytime I change anything on learning suite cause that happens frequently. I definitely don't want my students receiving so many emails from learning suite that they stop reading them altogether and miss important learning suite messages. Perhaps there could be a way students can select which type of email notifications they would like.
        I think a notification regarding a digital dialog reply would be very helpful and a time saver.

• MelissaMelissa commented  · 

I would like to receive emails when a professor gives feedback on an assignment. Also--a notification for professors when students turns in an assignment for resubmission.

Just to tighten down functionality, I think that the idea of having an email sent to you IS a good one, but this is something that you need to be able to opt out of somewhere.

• JJ FullmerJJ Fullmer commented  · 

I would add that not just the professor changing things but when someone replies to your post in digital dialog there should be email notification.
        And if the professor or TA adds a comment to a graded assignment that there is an email notification for that too.
        Ultimately, there just needs to be a lot more customizable email notifications in learning suite.

• EmilyEmily commented  · 

Have an email system set up so if the professor changes any thing or adds anything to learning Suite the student is informed.

Check out the attached file, but the basic idea is that zero grades (After grading and/or due date--this would take a little work to figure out) and abnormally low grades (say 70% and lower) will be marked as shown with dismissable comments. This is just to help students make sure that they don't overlook a missed, ungraded, lost, or late assignment. as soon as they review their grades (or perhaps this could be added to alerts on the dashboard), they'll quickly see the floating alerts and be able to dismiss them if they are aware of the grade.

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base