How can we improve BYU LEARNING SUITE?

Have default markers to label Quizzes/Exams: 'Open Book', 'Open Note', 'Open Internet', 'Open Neighbor', 'Open Anything'

Frequently I run into issues with knowing (a) which of my quizzes/exams are open-book and (b) what exactly that means! On rare occasions, faculty will include this in the directions for a given exam (instructions that appear *before* you have opened the exam) but frequently it either is unstated altogether or has to be dug up in the syllabus. It could be worth considering adding default Boolean values for a few common exam 'markers' that could also have an associated description for times when there might be further confusion (the title of this item suggests a few). Easy-to-scan icons could then be added to the exam descriptions that could be clicked/hovered to display clarifying details when available.

In addition, this could encourage a structure for better capturing and displaying exam metadata/instructions to students in an easy-to-consume fashion and be applied easily to testing center or online tests concerning time limits, available devices, available resources (books, notes, internet, classmates), whether a test can be saved and reopened (currently readable, but easy to miss), etc. This opening exam screen has the potential to have much richer information than it currently has, most of which could be captured through a series of controls during the process of a faculty member creating an examination (examples could include simply checking check boxes for what kinds of 'open' a test has with accompanying text fields for each box if clarification seems warranted or, on the student side of things, more visually representing time limits, ability to exit/save, etc.). I think there's good potential here to create a much richer testing environment that could reduce student stress/confusion and some (potentially) redundant student-faculty interactions to relay the same pieces of information that could instead be captured and crystallized.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Matthew Sheets shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google