Student Side

Please share your enhancement ideas. Technical problems should be reported to the OIT Service Desk at 422-4000 or it@byu.edu.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. TA view defaulted to student view

I am a TA and the most frustrating thing that I have had to deal with on learningsuite is the fact that it is defaulted to instructor view on both my phone and computers. I would like for there to be an option of which view to have as the default or at least have the student view as default because as TAs, we have classes too. I haven't been able to easily access the combined schedule feature that I love and on the phone you have to awkwardly scroll off to the side to even select student view.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Home  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have a "sent history" on the email tab so that I can look back at past messages I have sent.

I'd like to be able to look back on the emails I've sent through Learning Suite for things like drafted emails that were never sent, emails I have sent, and emails that might not have gone through.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dashboard

I don't know if this is already possible, but there should be a way to view past posts on dashboard. Sometimes my professors post review material for tests on the dashboard, but as soon as the date passes I can't view it anymore.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the Message System pop up without taking up the whole window.

When I click the message icon from the home screen of Learning Suite, the message window takes up the whole screen. I would prefer the message window to pop up in a modal format, or some other way that doesn't take up the whole screen and that loads more quickly.

Reason: Often, the messages aren't critical, and it feels like more of a distraction if I "navigate to another window" (which is what the experience feels like) and then realize the message wasn't important and I have to "navigate back". Perhaps the message could open up in a "chat" format…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Home  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve editing of self-added notes/items

1) Right now if you want to delete a note, you click on it and select "Edit" and then "Delete". This can be a time-consuming process. "Delete" should be moved to the flyout itself, perhaps with a confirmation window if that is a concern (though I think it may not be)

2) When saving an edit to a previously created note, the button for saving reads "update" (as in C.R.U.D.). It should read "save" for non-technical users.

3) The ability to change a note's date would be helpful. Right now users are forced to delete each note and then recreate…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Schedule  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Take away the Presidential Message on the LS landing page

As a web developer myself, I'm appreciative of the functionality LS provides--especially the combined calendar. However, the new "Presidential Message" that appears on LS home page takes away from the stark functionality of Learning Suite. Upon loading, it often grabs my attention as it's the only graphic on the page. However, I've noticed that the image and quote often get distracts and derails me from my focus on my assignments. I log into LS with the goal of looking up an assignment. But when the graphic/quote appears, my thoughts are drawn away from navigating to the specific class and I…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Home  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show Due Time on Grade Section

It would be good if it can not only show due date but also the due time. I have been tricked by cases where a particular assignment has the same due date but a earlier due time and not able to submit the assignments on time.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Simple quality-of-life navigation improvement: show nav bar.

After logging on using either the mobile site or the split-screen version of the desktop site, I have to click (or tap) "all courses" then the class, then that same tab up top (that now has the name of the class) then the tab I want, then that same tab up top to finally scroll down and click or tap on a tab, and if i accidentally click the wrong one then I have to do it one more time. It's not a huge deal, but with my understanding of programming it's probably an easy fix that would save maybe…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Mobile Phone: Grid Schedule

BYU's learning suite combined calendar is a helpful tool. On mobile devices when the grid - calendar is selected, but when I try to scroll down to see the rest of the grid, it switches back to "list mode". Please fix this!

A previous request was made for this fix, but it was declined. If you aren't going to fix it, then removed the "grid combined calendar" option for mobile phones. Currently it is unusable.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Schedule  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Automatically create a to-do list based off of assignments

Have a to do list that the student can edit. They should be able to edit completion time, add assignments/readings, take away assignments.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Schedule  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I want to remove myself from a community

i am still enrolled in a community and it really doesn't even exist anymore. I want to be able to remove myself

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Letter Grade Under Assignments

Post letter grade along with percentage under Assignments under Grades like it is under What If Calculator.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Don't automatically switch combined schedule to list view

When I make my window smaller (like if I have two windows each taking up half my screen), the combined schedule is automatically switched to list mode. I hate this. grid mode works just fine in a smaller window.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Like button for comments made within the message threads

I like the new message system but I get an inflated number of notifications of students just saying "thanks" to professors or TAs. Only about 1/3 - 1/4 of the message notifications I got last week affected me or had substantial content. Like buttons for comments would significantly cut back on unnecessary and repeat messages.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Don't deleting work unless it is submitted even if it's late

Don't close an assignment's dialog thus deleting a student's work even if the due date has passed. Only wipe out work when it's been submitted. If the assignment late work should not be deleted. If a document is required but a student has written in text it should not be deleted when notifying that a document is actually required.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Assignments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Stop using user's email in FROM field

I would consider this an urgent LearningSuite request. Please read!

When LearningSuite sends emails, it extracts the sender's email address from BYU personal information and tacks that address on to the outgoing email in the FROM and REPLY-TO fields.

A couple of years ago, this wouldn't have been a problem. However, DMARC has become more prevalent; causing LearningSuite emails to be rejected or marked as spam by the recipient's email service.

(If you don't know what DMARC is, it is essentially a filter that will catch any emails which do not come from servers within the recipient's domain. LearningSuite servers…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Home  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. View score of multiple choice separate from Written

When you finish an exam (with both multiple choice and written responces) it currently shows the score of multiple choice questions with the TOTAL number of points possible. This makes the score appear much lower because the written responses are not yet graded.
    Allow the final score to appear such as : Multiple choice 37/40. Written responses ?/60 .
    rather than currently: 37/100

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Exams  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Eliminate whitespace at the top of the browser

I have noticed across multiple devices that there is a line of whitespace at the top of the page. I attached an image of this occurring in Safari. I think Learning Suite would look better without the whitespace.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow larger files to be attached to assignments.

My students need to submit large, multi-file assignments for semester-long projects. Currently, the Learning Suite won't accept them, and returning USB flash drives at the end of a semester is a hassle.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Assignments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Visual Cue of Courses I'm Auditing

It would be nice to have the tab of the course(s) I'm auditing a different color or some other representation to know that I'm auditing that course. Can't really tell that I'm auditing a course other than remembering

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Student Side

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base